As your dog gets older, simple acts such as getting up on the sofa or jumping up to bed becomes harder for them. Dog ramps provide a straightforward resolution for many problems associated with canine aging. There are many different dog ramp sizes available to suit your pet.What are the benefits of having a dog ramp?
- It halts your pet from exerting undue pressure on their joints while jumping, thus preventing injuries.
- Dogs that are too young or too small to jump can access their desired spots.
- They are perfect for dogs recovering from surgery or injury to avoid pressure on the affected areas.
- It is a source of relief and extra help for dog owners with joint and back problems as it is difficult for them to lift their pets.
They come in different sizes, shapes, colors, and weights. You need to get one that meets your dogs needs.
- Wooden: This type comes with built-in small steps. It is recommended for pets that find it difficult to use plastic or metal types. The pets weight should not exceed 50 kilograms.
- Lightweight: These are considered the easiest to use. They are ideal for pets suffering from arthritis as well as smaller breeds of dogs that find it hard to jump as high. They are normally bi-fold and are ideal for vehicles.
- Free-standing: This type looks quite similar to the usual stairs, having two feet. It is ideal for pet owners who fear their furniture or car getting damaged by lightweight ramps.
- Measurement: Measure your vehicles access point regarding height and comfort angle that the pet can easily handle and get one with those specifications.
- Gripping surface: Ensure that it has a walking surface with good grip so that your pet can easily get into your car, truck or SUV.
- Ramp weight: It is advisable to have one with a design that is light and manageable for you to carry. However, do not sacrifice durability, quality, and sturdiness.
- Safety: It should have safety features such as front and hind stabilizer lips to keep the pet secure. Also, check for side railings that will stabilize it and prevent it from falling.
- Compact storage: A folding or telescoping model is ideal to easily slide open as well as readily fold back for travel and space-saving storage in the cargo area of your car.
- For the permanently fixed ones, you can get pet ramp breaks that that are permanently bolted in place.
- For the portable ones, a scrap of shag carpet that is a bit wider than the base will go a long way to keep it in place. For the steep ones, place your foot at the end of it to help keep it secure.
- For those placed on a hardwood floor, putting rubber or a scrap of carpet on the lower end will keep it from scratching the floor.